Sunday, August 23, 2015

Babies & Birthdays.

Little man is two months away from his first birthday and the questions have started rolling in...
  1. What kind of party is he having?
  2. What does he want?
First regarding the party - when did it become necessary to have such a huge event for a one year old. May I remind  you they won't remember it. They don't need a huge banner, fancy DIY party favors, a custom order cake, or fancy catered food. They are one. One. (I'm not sure anyone NEEDS those things to begin with). Why should I spend that much money? I will take pictures, he will know he was celebrated and loved.

Yes, I want my son's birthday to be cute. I'll probably even have a small banner, I plan on doing some DIY items, but I'm making the cake myself and what is so wrong with simple balloons and streamers these days? I swear moms put so much pressure on themselves these days to "have it all together" and make "pinterest worthy" items ...I just don't have time for that!

This is what you get when you search "1st birthday party ideas!"

Second, my baby doesn't want anything other than love, attention, food, and a place to sleep... probably a changed diaper every now and then. So what you're really asking is "what can I buy him?" But my answer isn't fun, it's not what people want to hear, it's practical. My sons NEEDS (money towards) the next size up car seat and winter clothing (um hello, he was born in Hawaii and lives in a diaper most days). Neither of those things are shiny or make noise, but I can say that I'd much rather have my son safely secured in our vehicle and dressed adequately for cold weather than the fleeting moment of happiness that comes with a new toy.

So, if you don't want to hear my answer that's fine, just include a gift receipt, haha!

What are your thoughts on baby birthdays?
-Tay

1 comment: