Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Guest Post: "The Not So Brilliant Start."

Hey everyone!

Today I have a special treat for you, my friend Danielle is talking about goals! If you remember, I posted my 2016 goals just prior to the new year, I love seeing other perspectives and encouragement when it comes to them! Danielle and I met six years ago in Maryland through our small group at church, since then we have stayed in-touch and even had the opportunity to live near each other for a brief period once again in Hawaii. I can't believe she has 3 kiddos now, when we met she and her husband had just recently gotten married, I love this crazy life of mine.

Now she is super woman: going to school, taking care of said kiddos, and running her own business Legacy Creative Co. which focuses on helping small business owners and busy women utilize their time as efficiently as possible! If you own a small business or are struggling to figure out what career field you should be in contact her for some advice!



I hope you enjoy what she has to say!

Feel free to comment with any questions for her,
-Tay


-------------------------------------------------


I am currently sitting in my car waiting for my college class to start. Not just any college class, but Calculus. In a condensed 3-week, 3-hour-a-day form. Am I crazy? Maybe. Am I scared? Oh yes! Am I driven? Yes!

I have goals for 2016, and this is one. The goal of continuing my college education.

What I was not planning on was my sudden desire to study accounting. I am not a math brain in any way! This goal scares me. Which is probably good because that usually means there is divine intervention taking place.




What about you? 
I know it's the beginning of January, right after New Year's Eve and a lot of people make resolutions.
What are yours? 
...Have you broken them?
...Do you feel like you've failed?

Do you know what? 
I don't make resolutions. 
I make intentional goals!

For me, when I set out with intention to do something, I make progress! One of my favorite quotes is by Lara Casey. She says "progress, not perfection." When I set a goal. I break that into pieces I can achieve. For instance, one goal for this year is to work towards my bachelors degree in Accounting.

I have broken that down into:
  • Taking one class at a time. 
  • Meeting with my adviser to make sure I am taking the right class at the right time. 
These are measured, tangible goals. On the side, I am looking at what certificates I need to become a certified accountant.


If you are like me, you have probably already been working towards a goal. How are you handling that? What if I told you to sit back, grab a cup of sweet tea or coffee, and think about what little steps you can take to make progress? I think you would enjoy the journey!

I love talking about goals and dreams! This year, I am going to take baby steps towards my new goal of my degree. Will I fail? Gosh, I really hope not! Nevertheless, even if I do, I am taking a step forward. I am gaining knowledge that I can carry with me into the next time I take Calculus.

Now your goal might be more complex, or more simple, but it is yours - claim it! Speak life into it by starting today! Failing would be to have a dream and do nothing. For those of you who are not working toward your dream, start today! There is nothing magical about making a resolution right on January 1. Dreaming is scary, but you can do it! I am scared of Accounting, there are a lot of numbers! I, however, do not want to regret what could have been.

~Danielle

LegacyCreativeCo.com
Facebook
Instagram 
Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment